S

through my senses -- most likely senseless

Monday, October 11, 2004

five years from now......

how funny, its been a little over five years since I was asked the question, "Where do you see yourself five yrs from now", in an interview. My answer, and typically many of my friends' answers, "Leading a team of dynamic youngsters" :)
back in 1999, when me and my friends were in our final yr of under-grad, we were seriously preparing for our campus interviews. and this was the most common question in the interviews. I still remember the discussions to tackle this question. and all the answers would point to the same direction, to lead a group.
hmmmmm............ its five yrs and most of us are still in entry level positions, with varied yrs of experience. some of us got promotions, some of us have a masters degree, but I don't think none of us is in a management position, as of today. friends, please correct me if I'm wrong.

if this question is posted to me today, my answer would be --- Debugging the same system I'm developing today :)

Better to stick with reality.

p.s: all these are w.r.t career and not changes on a personal level :)

4 Comments:

Blogger The Last Blogger said...

From what I see in the companies I have worked, 15 years from now, you might end up doing the same thing. The pay might be different but the work profile, not very different. The problem is that there are too many managers already and companies who promoted people like crazy are now much wiser in that aspect. Had we started working in the US 8 years back, things might have been different.I am afraid, we got in just at the wrong time.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Chakra said...

very true... way back in 1996 I told the same crap to my interviewer... it took me 7 yrs to lead a team..

btw, wouldn't things be on a different plane if u start a company? but how many are ready to take the plunge??

- Chakra.

1:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...burp...

4:34 PM  
Blogger hari said...

Hi,
You are right, what we plan at the beginning of our career is quite different from what happens.

But your last answer would definitely suit in personal life too. In fact in personal life, till retirement you would be debugging only.

4:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home