S

through my senses -- most likely senseless

Thursday, September 30, 2004

the pyramid game

about a month back, a friend of mine asked me if I would be interested in part-time business. he didn't go into any details but just asked me to go with him for a "business meeting" that night. I have heard stories about Amway before, so I kinda knew where I'm being led to. the only difference being that this wasn't Amway, but Quixtar. later I learnt that quixtar is a sister concern of amway.
the meeting took place somewhere in LA in a 3 start hotel, and all the people were dressed up in formals .... they were wearing suits! I don't even have a tie, so didn't bother much.
apparently a guy had come from NY to deliver a lecture on quixtar. he bragged about as to how he became a millionaire in just 5 yrs, never works any more, how he has helped lots of people and society(?) .......

for starters, this is what you do
1. pay $250 and become a member
2. start purchasing merchandise from their website. they have all the crap there
3. refer more people

for every dollar spent directly by you, and indirectly (spent by the people whom you have referred), you get some commission. obviously one can't spend a million bucks, so you refer more and more people, count on them to refer more and so on. its like a pyramid and if you are lucky enuf to sit at the top of a big one, you may make some bucks.

but I'm telling you, this is not going to happen unless lots of people are stupid enough to buy basically everything from tooth-paste to vitamin tablets from their website. my poor friend has committed himself and now he is buying everything from it, believing that one day he will become a millionaire. and you have to be really aggressive to get more people into it. these guys are super-aggressive, and on being so they lose all sorts of values :(
unfortunately lots of grad students are blindly joining this game.

why I went there, I was expecting some free food, they disappointed me :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Chakra said...

I was also referred by someone to this crap.. they sent me a video, which i didn't even bother to see.

- Chakra.

2:32 AM  
Blogger The Last Blogger said...

The less said about this the better. I will probably be writing about this in my blog someday. I have had no less than 7 people approach me about this. All in the same town. At one point, I was avoiding talking to strangers, even the casual smiles. If people came up to me to talk, I cut them short and ran away. It was that bad.
Will the "get rich quick" ideas never stop ?

9:27 AM  
Blogger Loser said...

It's a scam. Visit formerdiamond.com to have a better understanding of it. Try to talk ur friends out, they might be losing money in meetings, tapes, seminars. Thats how the "millionaires" make money. As simple as that. It was on TV as well, in dateline expose. Above site had a video. Funny to watch.

10:53 PM  
Blogger saranyan r said...

Hey MO, thanks for the link. it was very informative, I passed it to my friend too.
May I know who you are?

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home