S

through my senses -- most likely senseless

Thursday, February 03, 2005

A South Indian Wedding in the US

Last weekend I was in Houston to attend a cousin's wedding. It was a very nice experience, as the atmosphere and rituals were very much Indian, I mean all the stuff were carried out as though it were in India. The marriage was held at the wedding hall adjoining the Meenakshi temple in Houston. I was really suprised to see such a big marriage hall, its definitely bigger than some popular ones we have back in coimbatore :)

The grooms side organized everything (yeah no kidding) as the bride and their family came all the way from India :) The groom's family is settled in texas for the past 15 yrs and what really came as a surprise was their 'Indianness'. I mean this is a proper arranged marriage, carried out in a perfect traditional backdrop. That was something guys.

There was even a Jhanavasam, and the groom was taken on a procession on a decorated horse (this only gets better :)) somebody played item nos like "appadi podu" and "dol baje" and we all danced. I didn't know how to dance, hence put on some "dappangoothu" and everyone moved away from me, fearing that I might hit someone :)

Its really difficult to organize traditional events in the US, as something simple like getting flowers can itself be a major pain in the neck. Like I said, I never felt that I was in the US during the wedding ceremony.

the only downside is that all the expenses are in dollars :)

7 Comments:

Blogger Chakra said...

thats very interesting..

not all the rituals are properly followed as they should be even in weddings that happen in India. To conduct a wedding in US and that too taking in a traditional fashion is something that needs to be appreciated.

12:29 AM  
Blogger reNUka said...

Hi there - U ve got a good blog!! Continue the good work. Will start visiting regularly.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Prabha said...

something to be really appreciated...but kinda reminds me of these English-Hindi movies..Balle Balle Amritsar to LA types :)
Mustve been really exciting for u guys though..esp the food :)?

7:07 AM  
Blogger saranyan r said...

Chakra, thats true, if you arre carrying a traditional event, then better do it properly. No point in compromising here and there, it'll look ugly.

Hey Ramya, thanks for the comments :)

Prabha, the food SUCKEDDDDD. Thanks for dropping by.

p.s: I hope the groom's side isn't reading my blog :)

8:46 AM  
Blogger The Last Blogger said...

Machi
Glad that you had fun in a desi wedding in the US. I for one wouldnt have been able to have as much fun as I had with my wedding in the US than in India. Somehow life in India and marriage in India is made for each other. The chaos, the confusion included.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Twin-Gemini said...

I have tried the dabbankuthu once and have seen a similar reaction from friends, although this was in a disco :))

I am surprised at the food part, because usually at all the parties that I have been to, the food has been quite good. Even surprising to me is the fact that this happenned in Houston - Houston has a lot of Indian population and a lot of good restaurants too.

2:51 PM  
Blogger saranyan r said...

Hi Anand, thanks for the comments.

Even I was surprised at the food part. The tiffin items were good, but lunch and dinner were horrible. Our traditional dishes, Akkara Adisal and Paruppu Usili, were unbearable.
And the catering was done by the famous Madras Pavilion!

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home