S

through my senses -- most likely senseless

Monday, January 17, 2005

An Informative Novel

Just finished reading Angels & Demons, by Dan Brown......the same author who wrote 'The da Vinci Code'.
A very thrilling and informative novel. It literally takes you on a tour around Vatican and Rome. gives a closer look at the Papal elections, the power structure of the Roman Catholic Church, the Sistine chapel, St. Peter's Basilica, ancient symbols, and many more. one can also know more about the marvellous works of Michaelangelo and Bernini, and the Renaissance Art in general.

It definitely inspires the reader to visit Vatican and Rome, to enjoy and appreciate the famous art works.

visit this site to see those original markers and locations mentioned in the novel. Beware, it has some spoilers too. I would advise you to see them after you had finished reading the novel.

Now I have started reading da Vinci Code, expect to finsih it by this weekend. I have bought a special illustrated edition of the book, has pictures of the paintings and markers mentioned in the novel. that makes it more exciting :)

you can get these books from Amazon.com, cheaper than Borders and Barnes & Noble......a must read.

7 Comments:

Blogger The Last Blogger said...

Aha !
So you enjoyed it as I predicted. When I read A&D almost 16 months back, it gave me a totally new found interest in history and religion that no other book has succeeded in doing. I followed it with the Da Vinci code which only reinforced it. Last week I completed my second read of A&D and thoroughly enjoyed it again. Have Da Vinci on hold in my library to read again.
In the 16 month period, I have read a lot of history and seen umpteen documentaries that I would have otherwise not done if I hadnt read the books.
Deception Point and Digital Fortress and quite interesting too without the history in them.

12:17 PM  
Blogger saranyan r said...

exactly, it has given me too an immense interest in Art works and European History in general.
Already I'm planning a trip to UK and Italy sometime this yr. Hopefull July, but the ticket prices are double during summer :(
lets see, a 10 day trip should be good enuf I guess.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Sudarshan said...

Dude
Let me know when you go. I ahve friends in UK and Italy who can take care of you :-)..

I have been wanting to read dan Brown for sometime now but I am hooked to my non-fiction books.

3:00 PM  
Blogger saranyan r said...

thanks a lot dude :)
btw, we can share books :)

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Saranyan
I accidentally bumped into your blog once, and have been reading it quite regularly since!
Well, I am from cbe too and also from bvb...but I am a couple of years your junior. I've been thinking for a long time that I should write something in here, and finally did so today. :)
Good blog....keep posting.
Archana Srini

7:51 AM  
Blogger The Last Blogger said...

Paran
I have also gotten a trip in the works to Italy and France (definitely in the works for a long time but the books just put in a level of urgency in the trip).

I saw a very interesting documentary on DVD that I rented titled "An inside look at the Vatican" by National Geographic. Very informative and I could associate a lot of things with what I read in A & D.

8:16 AM  
Blogger saranyan r said...

Hi Archana, thanks for reading and commenting :) what do you do now, do you have a blog yourself? keep in touch.

Ranga, thanks for the suggestion. I'll rent it soon. thats right, the interest has only gone higher :)

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home