S

through my senses -- most likely senseless

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

plight of plus two students

was reading this article on Hindu today. pathetic, isn't it. I guess all of us would have gone through something similar in our class XII yrs.
its about 9 yrs since I finished class XII. to describe that whole yr as a nightmare is only an understatement. it was the first time in my life that I went for out of school tutition classes. I took special classes on all the majors..... worked like a dog from 5 am to 10 pm every single day. I still remember those last few months, when I gave full 3 hr practise tests every day. my parents worked equally worked hard too. all the hard work to just reproduce the book in an exam paper. no application of thought :(
it didn't get over after the board exams, as we had to go for yet another round of coaching for the entrance exams. it was far more than a mere coaching class, it was a jail. we weren't allowed to skip classes, skip tests, and on top of it a weekly report (including attendence and performance) would be sent home :)
gladly the entrance test during our yr was entirely different than the previous ones. the math exam was particularly hard. it wasn't a memory test, instead it tested us thoroughly.

I'm just thinking, if I can ever produce that level of hard work again, man, I can even get a Nobel Prize :)

7 Comments:

Blogger BZ said...

So true!
I often times wonder how we used to study so much in so little time when nowadays we slog to study even some boring documents.
LOL at math ent exams 'testing' us thoroughly. Ah! Memories. I wish I were half as hardworking and diligent as then, now.

5:53 PM  
Blogger Twin-Gemini said...

Actually it's all good, in a way. I am sure all the efforts that we put in did not go a waste. Of course, luck plays a major rule in all of this, but most of us who went through this grind have got a good education which resulted in a good job and a decent life. Our education system is one of the best in the world, the only problem is our lack of infrastructure in many instituitions. As most of us know, IITs, IIMs are regarded as one of the best Univerities in the world. And I am sure most of us who go outside India to work in other countries will certainly feel the edge that they have when compared with average folks from other parts of the world.

PS: Ashok from the Dilbert comic is an IIT graduate :-)

8:50 PM  
Blogger saranyan r said...

Saranya, actually I did well on that test, even I couldn't believe :)

Anand, I agree with you. Its just the drill that made me mad.

Jagan, pesama oru 'Thuppariyum Niruvanam" aarambichudu :) I will help you :)

11:03 PM  
Blogger Chakra said...

don't remind me of that nightmare.. 13 yrs after schooling, i still remember what we underwent..

i added that IIT coaching @ Brilliant Tutorials to my schedule... every day trip to t-nagar not only made me mad, but I ended up spending less time for school studies and made a royal mess of myself..

later, coming to think that I did only B.Sc., I felt that I burned myself unnecessarily.

1:24 AM  
Blogger Anu said...

Thats actually true! I rewind to some seven years back..
only difference is that my school made up for all the extra coaching..as we wrote slip tests and revision exams and so on and so forth...coming to think of it now, I wonder how i managed to study so much..wish i could be half as hard working as that now...i guess even memory resources start rusting with age..;))

3:31 AM  
Blogger The Last Blogger said...

Ah those days. I would love to return to that part of my life (without the pressure packed public exam). It wa fun.

And Twin-Gemini, small correction, its Asok ;). The spelling is important in this context.

On a serious note, I wish my brain functioned as it used to before. Now it borders on sedentary most of the time and I dont like that.

8:45 AM  
Blogger saranyan r said...

Ranga, we went to the same entrance coaching too, in SB colony. and then there was that famous visit to Annalakshmi restaurant :)

Anupama, thanks for the comments.

Chakra, infact most of us feel like that. PSG or KCT, it doesn't matter at the end. maybe if you are in India, but not for a MS degree.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home