S

through my senses -- most likely senseless

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

snippets from my trip

this was the first time I took Air India. contrary to all the negative publicity, I had a good experience. their service was excellent and it was a comfortable journey. they could improve on two aspects though - start on time (this one is on their list from time immemorial I guess) and buy new flights (think they just placed a few orders).

frankfurt airport is the crappiest i've ever been to. their transit lounge is extremely small and isn't suited for even a few hrs of wait. on the other hand, bombay's transit hall was perfect. they even had bed-like easy chairs.

got to see President Kalam in coimbatore. he was on a vist and since cbe is a small town, almost all of us had a chance to see his motorcade and Dr. Kalam was waving from his car. he even visited saibaba colony (our neighborhood) for a dinner at his friend's place. inspired on seeing him, I'm now reading his "Wings of Fire" :) :)

and dental costs in India aren't that cheap. I found it cheaper in the US with an insurance than to have anything done over there. great profession to be a dentist :)

I don't want to bore you with more :)

14 Comments:

Blogger Sudarshan said...

Wings of Fire is a good read....alhtough I don't agree with the nuclearization of the world :-)

5:59 PM  
Blogger Adaengappa !! said...

Kudos,you preferred AI..

"dental costs in India aren't that cheap" ..thanks !!

6:00 PM  
Blogger saranyan r said...

Adengappa, I thought BDS was a shorter course. thanks for the info.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Adaengappa !! said...

BDS is 5 years and MBBS is 5 1/2 years..

Just checked my facts !!

6:23 PM  
Blogger GS said...

"cbe is a small town" ... hmm! really?

8:50 PM  
Blogger Anu said...

Nice round up! :). Pretty interesting to see that you caught a glimpse of President Kalam..:)

10:01 PM  
Blogger Kaps said...

any comments about the AI in flight service (& about air hostess)?

11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So... in your reference.. u would call AI as "wings of fire".. won't you???

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

saranya...small town???.. cbe??..last survey it was the 14 or 15 biggest CITY in India..and yes Air India has ordered a huge fleet on new aircrafts...Air India was doin really well till JRD Tata was heading it till the late 80`s(even after the govt took over the airlines from tatas).

5:27 AM  
Blogger The Last Blogger said...

I read Wings of Fire a few years back. Very optimistic, maybe to the point of being impractical but still a good read.

Havent done AI yet. All the time its Luft via Ffurt. I cant even compare it to the Asian airports since I havent ever done the trip from the West Coast.

And Shalini and I have been visiting the dentist non-stop week after week to get the initial deep cleaning done. Its one helluva money-spinner for the dentist.

8:19 AM  
Blogger AF said...

Good to hear about AI service.
hmmm..dental costs are high, may be you went to a very well recognised dentists, since i find it ok when i visited India.

8:41 AM  
Blogger saranyan r said...

kaps, some of them (air hostess) were good looking. but can be better for sure :)

"its me" -- actually I haven't thought in those lines till now :)

hari, rombha peruma peethadha da :)

"af" -- generally they started charging high ... thats what I mentioned.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Narayanan Venkitu said...

Nice post ...I was expecting this.! So..are you from Coimbatore?

Air India - Yeah..you went without expectations I guess.!

Frankfurt - I felt the same way.!!

Dr. Kalam - Thanks, I'll read him too...!

Dental costs - I had the same feelings. When I had some dental work. I wonder what the people over in India do?

6:32 PM  
Blogger Twin-Gemini said...

Wings of fire is an amazing book. How did you like it? I didnt read it, but heard it - they got out a audio book with narration by Girish Karnad and songs by Bombay Jayshree and Shankar Mahadevan. It was really superb!

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home