S

through my senses -- most likely senseless

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

deals and stuff

of late I've been trying to get a digi cam for a decent price. and surprisingly, zeroeing on the camera didn't take much time at all. but getting it has suddenly become an increasingly difficult task. I found a really good deal on Dell and even placed the order. later on learnt that they will take atleast 2-3 weeks to ship it, which is way beyond the date I would be needing it. same case with many other popular sites. looks like all these sites propose a price, see the response, and then shop for the promised price...all the while maintaining that the items are in stock.

in this market, prices are ever fluctuating and over a period of time they gradually drop. and this kind of marketing technique is actually brilliant. basically these sites give a discount on items that will be bought in the future, say atleast 2 weeks from the day the order was placed. and while we feel happy of getting a good bargain, the sites easily manage a sizeable profit.

nyways I have decided to pick one from a store...I'm finally compromising on the price against the time factor. its better to be late than never :)

11 Comments:

Blogger ioiio said...

Compromises are always required.. How abt using the standard AMERICAN PROCEDURE..buy one from stores..use it while waiting for the new one from dell.. and when u get it, return the one u bought from store.

Kaasukku kaasu micham.. U get to use the camera when u want to...

America nammala keduthirichu paaa!!!

7:17 PM  
Blogger Maran said...

Here in Malaysia if you ask questions without buying you're a pest, if you decide to buy then you get to touch the camera if not the camera stays in the showcase. Once you bought it there's no one to one replacement policy or 30 days trial period. King not customer.

7:43 PM  
Blogger ioiio said...

Oh Saranyan... Going to motherland!! Enjoy man..

11:45 PM  
Blogger Chakra said...

I did the same mistake when I was in a similar position... It wasn't for digicam.. but for something else and at last, I had to compromise.

1:23 AM  
Blogger Dante said...

You wanted to buy a DELL digital camera??
What was the one you finally bought?
ioiio, America nammai keduthirucha, illa Americavin courtesya naam abuse pannuromaa?

2:39 AM  
Blogger saranyan r said...

jagan, kuthi kaattadha da :)

ioiio, I can never do that. and I hate people who are doing that. yes I'm going to motherland, thanks man :)

maran, here the replacement policy is 14 days and most of the major stores charge a 15% restocking fee. just to avoid abuse of the system. but there is a wholesale store called costco, they have unlimited return policy even on electronic items.

Vivek, adhu enna ungaloda kadaya :) I finally got one from Amazon, they promised to ship immly. the 19 day counter is a different one...the one I have is the day I'd be starting :)

chakra, atleast you are there in my league :)

gandalf, I placed an order for a Canon SD400 in Dell. now I opted for a Canon S410 from Amazon.
and we certainly are abusing the system.

9:33 AM  
Blogger ioiio said...

Well.. not as if I've done it before. very doubtful that i'll do it in future.. But I know a lotta my american student friends do it and do it often..

10:17 AM  
Blogger Narayanan Venkitu said...

I feel the same way and I pick a few items from the stores. For things I can wait on...Ebay is always there.

By the way what model? What brand?

5:08 PM  
Blogger saranyan r said...

I got a canon S410. lets see how it goes.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Venky Krishnamoorthy said...

what model did you buy

8:55 PM  
Blogger The Last Blogger said...

So finally you bought a camera. As Jagan here knows, this has been one long journey...

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home