S

through my senses -- most likely senseless

Friday, July 30, 2004

Oh Dear Agatha

I'm an avid reader of Agatha Christie's works. I particularly like her series on the great 'Hercule Poirot'. Poirot is different from Sherlock Holmes, both in approach and involvement of readers in the plot. he has a distinguished look, and definitely an air of authority as well as confidence.
and Agatha indeed portrays the characteristics of Poirot in each of her novel to such an extent, that one believes it is real.
I happened to watch a movie based on one of her novels, 'The Murder on the Orient Express'. the book is a must read Poirot mystery novel, but the movie isn't worth watching. what sets apart Poirot is his methods, and appearance. But alas, both these are neglected in the movie. some clown is chosen to perform the role, and the most embarassing part is that he uses a laptop to solve the crime. thats too bad. I simply don't understand as to why the director wrote a new script instead of just using the novel.
I must say that if people were going to watch this movie without having ever read an Agatha novel, then they aren't going to read one for sure. and its a bad publicity for the queen of crime.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of the book-into-movie thing in general. There are some books that lend themselves well to this and others that need only a certain director and budget to do them correctly. (They almost never come together)

One movie I'm looking forward to is an adaption of Vurt by Jeff Noon. It's one of my favourite books.

Goodluck with the blog.

-Lee

3:16 PM  
Blogger saranyan r said...

hey lee, thats right. It definitely needs a more creative mind to adapt a book into a movie.
thanks for the comment. do you blog?

5:37 PM  
Blogger Chakra said...

I have read 'Murder on the Orient Express'.. thats a gripping one indeed. I also read two of her other books, whose title I have forgot.. but I found that they were in the same style with similar plot.

BBC aired a serial 'Hercule Poirot' and I have watched several parts.. I think the Poirot character was well depicted here. Much care was taken to bring out the old touch..

4:39 AM  
Blogger saranyan r said...

Chakra, now I remember the series on Hercule Poirot, it was aired in India too, more than 10 yrs back. yes, the charater portrayal was good.
But I still wouldn't collect the movie series though :)

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home